[augeas-devel] sshd lens bugfix

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Thu Feb 4 10:02:01 UTC 2010

Dominique Dumont wrote:

> Le mardi 2 février 2010 19:30:46, David Lutterkort a écrit :

>> For example, the Grub.lns will split the kernel command line into
>> individual args, since people frequently want to interrogate and change
>> those individually. So, rephrasing my question: how important is that
>> granularity for Sshd ?

> I can't say for myself as I don't use this feature.

> I've searched for examples on Google but I did not get many results, so I
> don't think this feature is much used. Hence this granularity is probably not
> important.

Problem is, it isn't a question of that one thing is convenient, and the
other is inconvenient.  If you don't have the fine-grained granularity,
some things become *impossible*.  In my opinion, there should be a fairly
heavy bias towards making even the uncommon things possible, even if it
makes common things more inconvenient.  (I'm not saying that we should
make them possible at all costs, just that it inconvenience weight lighter
than impossibility.)

This is extra important when you can't make the change to become more
fine-granular without breaking backwards compatibility.  Then it becomes
important to do it right as early as possible, or else wait until a new
major release.

The ideal solution would be to make it possible to have both, so if you
did 'set .../foo "cmd arg1 arg2"', then it would automatically also update
.../foo/arg[0], .../foo/arg[1] and .../foo/arg[2], and vice versa.  Then
you get convenience in both cases, and it isn't quite so important to get
the lenses perfect from the start.

	/Bellman