[augeas-devel] bug/feature request - support shell functions in shellvars.aug

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 09:09:46 UTC 2010

On 30/06/10 06:40, Chris Sears wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to to be able to parse an ifcfg file that contains a function
> using shellvars.aug. This doesn't seem to be supported currently.
>
> Here's an example of the ifcfg file:
>
> ================ begin ifcfg-eth0 =================
> # VMware VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=192.168.10.91
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>
> check_link_down() {
>   return 1;
> }
> ================ end ifcfg-eth0 =================

I'm pretty sure that overriding internal network functions in this
configuration file isn't supported either by RHEL or augeas. Have a look
in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt for supported directives.

I think parsing this in any useful way would be extremely difficult. The
author of this change has decided to go beyond the supported syntax to
use arbitrary shell syntax. Parsing that is a daunting prospect to say
the least :)

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490