[augeas-devel] Minimization effect on typecheking

Francis Giraldeau Francis.Giraldeau at USherbrooke.ca
Mon May 3 20:14:28 UTC 2010

Selon Francis Giraldeau <Francis.Giraldeau at USherbrooke.ca>:
> I did a few experiments to try to see if we minimize automatons before
> computing the costly fa_ambig_example, if we could get better
> performance.
>
> It seems yes. Here are the results for a sample httpd lens :
>
> test      | time(s) | peak mem(bytes)
> normal    | 8.12    | 142640
> minimized | 6.59    | 30128
>
> Even while reducing the automaton takes a while, it seems that overall
> performance is better. On this lens, it gives 18% better time and 78%
> reduction in peak memory.
>
> I will run it on all lenses to verify that performance improvement is
> not a special case because of the lens I'm using.

results for all modules :

                          normal    minimized
Average	time (s)          0.73      6.13
Average peak mem (bytes)  38541     14103

Memory usage is reduced by half, but few lenses are taking much more time to
compute, like the squid module that takes over 120s with minimization, against
only 3s when not. So, we should let this as is...

Have a nice day,

Francis