[augeas-devel] saving edited files in another directory

Christopher Harvey christopher.harve at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:54:26 UTC 2010

is it possible to tell augeas to save the new (edited) file in a directory
other than where the original file is?
Example:

augtool -n
set files/hosts/1/ipaddr testing
save
exit

ls /etc/hosts*
shows both files, hosts and hosts.augnew

What if I don't have root permissions, but want to get a diff anyway? My
first thought was to have augeas save into /tmp/foo but I can't figure out
how to do it. I read the docs but no mention of this feature. I could write
a patch myself if this is an interesting feature and it doesn't already
exist.

Thanks,
Chris.