[augeas-devel] Not able to parse /etc/grub.conf

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:26:04 UTC 2010

This is an odd problem and is (at least to me) new. Rackspace just
switched over to allowing customers to setup their own grub and install
and manage their own kernels in their cloud environment. To do this
meant the installation of grub and the manual creation of the grub.conf
file. I installed the above, and setup the grub.conf in
/boot/grub/grub.conf with /boot/grub/menu.lst being a soft link to it as
well as /etc/grub.conf being a soft link. This is pretty standard RHEL 5
setup as far as I can tell. Unfortunately augeas won't parse
/etc/grub.conf (nor for that matter /boot/grub/grub.conf or menu.lst).

Now it doesn't appear to be a parse error:
augtool> match /augeas//error
  (no matches)

And the lens is there:
augtool> print /augeas/load/Grub/
/augeas/load/Grub
/augeas/load/Grub/lens = "@Grub"
/augeas/load/Grub/incl[1] = "/etc/grub.conf"
/augeas/load/Grub/incl[2] = "/boot/grub/menu.lst"

It just doesn't even seem to try to parse the file.

Versions:
augeas-0.7.3-1.el5
augeas-libs-0.7.3-1.el5

Any pointers to what is going on here?