[augeas-devel] augeas in non linux environment and generic configuration files

Dominique Dumont dominique.dumont at hp.com
Thu Sep 2 08:43:30 UTC 2010

Hello

Due to vacations, I may be a bit late to reply to this, but it still can be
helpful ...

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 16:08:12 David Timms wrote:
> Hi, I was considering using augeas to either:
> a) create conforming config files for an embedded system:
>
> that is: create the files on a linux machine and then transfer to the
> device where they will get used.

[snip]

> 2. having spent some time reviewing various formats, yaml, and to some
> extent json, seem promising. If the first method is used, I'll need to
> be able to suport having the user manually edit the config files with a
> text editor, hopefully in a format that is clear and obvious to adjust,
> and not too picky on actual formatting within the file. Does this
> requirement make a case for using some other file format than the
> previous answer ?

<shameless config-model plug>
In case a), would your user be interested in using a GUI to edit the data
instead of a file ? (The GUI is easy to create and maintain and would ensure a
correct output. It can also be used on top of Augeas)
</shameless config-model plug>

All the best

Dominique
--