[augeas-devel] anonymous struct/union members in augeas

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Apr 5 17:14:29 UTC 2012

All-

This note is only relevant to anyone that's building augeas with a
compiler that doesn't support anonymous structs/unions, so most of you
can quit reading now.  :-)

I ran into trouble building augeas 0.10.0 on x86_64-sun-solaris2.10 with
the Oracle Studio 12.2 toolchain, because of the extensive use of
anonymous members in structs & unions.  I'm quite certain the same would
be true for other commercial compilers for other platforms.

I developed a lengthy patch against 0.10.0 that essentially names all
the anonymous members in every struct and union and adds the necessary
member references everywhere that's needed.  David has that code on a
separate branch, but he's understandably unwilling to apply it to the
mainline.

I'll try keep the patch up to date against subsequent releases of augeas,
but no promises on how prompt I will be.  You're certainly welcome to
contact me either via the list or directly if you run into the same type
of issues and would like me to update the patch.

The good news is that although anonymous members in structs and unions
are currently primarily a gcc extension, they are part of the C11
standard, so we should eventually begin seeing support for them in other
compilers.

Tim