[augeas-devel] [Puppet Users] Re: augeas error: Could not evaluate: unknown error - Failed to initialize Augeas

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 21:05:55 UTC 2012

[ CC'ed to augeas-devel, more on-topic for ruby-augeas build errors ]

On 18/01/12 04:45, LawrieC wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Aaron.
>
> I have stuck with the platform RPMs as indicated earlier in the
> thread. I could not find a ruby-augeas SLED platform RPM.

I'm not familiar with the SUSE community, but I do see a number of
ruby-augeas RPMs and SRPMs on the build service.  Picking one at random:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=ruby-augeas&project=home%3Ajustin_kinney

The spec doesn't seem to have a %check section though, so you might find
it just masks the problem below until later.

> Now it attempts to build a new RPM for the SLED11SP1 platform but
> fails at the rake testing phase with 13 errors, output follows
>
> + rake
> test
> (in /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-
> augeas-0.4.1)
> Loaded suite /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake/
> rake_test_loader
> Started
> EEEEEEE.EEEEEE
> Finished in 0.018282
> seconds.
>
>   1) Error:
> test_basics(TestAugeas):
> SystemCallError: unknown error - Failed to initialize Augeas

That looks pretty bad!  Does Augeas function properly on your system to
begin with?  I'd suggest running "augtool" and seeing if you get the
same error.

(From the quote below, you may need to install another package for the
Augeas command line tool).

If you get the error, try creating an empty directory and run "augtool
-r /path/to/dir" to rule out problems with files on your system.

On 11/01/12 23:28, Lawrie Care wrote:
> On the client I have the following augeas and ruby vendor based
> packages installed
>
> augeas-devel-0.8.1-7.8.2
> libaugeas0-0.8.1-7.8.2

This is interesting, does the libaugeas0 package contain any lens files?
 I can't find a spec for it to see how the SUSE package is split up, but
the EL/Fedora package would put them in the augeas-libs package:

$ rpm -ql augeas-libs | grep -c \.aug\$
219

The lenses should generally match the Augeas library version so check
they're in sync if supplied by another package.

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting