[augeas-devel] [Puppet Users] Augeas lens for zabbix agent config files?

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 09:34:33 UTC 2012

Hi Walter,

[ CCing the augeas-devel list, as that's the best place for Augeas lens
problems and help ]

On 22/01/12 20:48, Walter Heck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to come up with a lens for the zabbix agent config files. I
> find the lens language untransparent at best, so I'm struggeling to
> figure out what's up. The debugging possibilities are extremely
> limited. Here's what I have now:

For debugging, I'd strongly recommend creating a test file, which you
can do this simply with your existing Zabbix config.  I've created a
sample here that uses the head -n25 output you pasted - I suggest you
fill in the rest:
  https://gist.github.com/1662040

Store it in lenses/tests/test_zabbix_agent.aug and then you can run:
  augparse -I lenses/ lenses/tests/test_zabbix_agent.aug

(with your new lens under the lenses directory)

No output means the lens has checked out fine and the output tree (in
the bottom half of the test) matches the input file at the top.

> And the augeas output (all empty):
> ==
> [/etc/puppet] # augparse /usr/share/augeas/lenses/contrib/zabbix_agent.aug
> [/etc/puppet] # augtool -e ls /files/etc/zabbix/zabbix_agentd.conf
> ==

Since the output of head -n25 works perfectly for me, I suspect the
problem might be parsing something in the remainder of the file.

Try running "print /augeas//error" from within augtool and see if you
get /files/etc/zabbix/zabbix_agentd.conf listed.  This wiki page
explains how to parse the parse errors:
  http://augeas.net/page/Tracking_down_errors

There are some other useful tutorials about creating lenses, the
ambiguity problems you might hit and other subjects on the wiki:
  http://augeas.net/page/Main_Page

If you manage to solve it, please do consider sending your new lens (and
accompanying test) upstream to the augeas-devel list, we'd love to
include it.

Hope that helps.

--
Dominic Cleal