[augeas-devel] building on OSX (Lion)

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jul 18 20:06:44 UTC 2012

Hi-
  Before I dig more deeply into this, I'm curious if anyone has any advice for building augeas under OSX? The two packaging systems I use (MacPorts and Homebrew) both have 0.10.0 available, but both build a non-working package that throw errors like this:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _strchrnul
  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/augeas/0.10.0/lib/libaugeas.0.dylib
  Expected in: flat namespace

Looking back at the mail archive, it seems that the use of strchrnul() even though some operating systems didn't provide it  (and at the time, neither did the version of glib shipped with augeas) was discussed in relationship to Solaris, but I didn't see anything on the mailing list saying this had been worked around in the main development tree. I also saw David mention in June the possibility of cutting a new release (perhaps with that fix) back in June, but I don't know if that addresses the strchrnul() problem.

For fun, I thought I would try to build off HEAD on github using the instructions in the HACKING docs. autogen.sh works fine and produces a working configure and glib submodule. But when I actually try to build augeas, it gets this far:

Making all in src
echo '#define DATADIR "/usr/local/share"' > datadir.h1
../build/aux/move-if-change datadir.h1 datadir.h
make  all-am
 CC       fa.lo
 CC       hash.lo
 CC       memory.lo
 CC       ref.lo
 CCLD     libfa.la
 CC       augeas.lo
 CC       augrun.lo
 CC       pathx.lo
 CC       internal.lo
 CC       syntax.lo
 YACC     parser.c
/tmp/augeas/augeas/src/parser.y:46.1-5: invalid directive: `%code'
/tmp/augeas/augeas/src/parser.y:46.7-14: syntax error, unexpected identifier

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

       -- dNb