[augeas-devel] building on OSX (Lion)

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 08:14:03 UTC 2012

On 18/07/12 23:36, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2012, at 5:45 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what causes this particular issue - augeas explicitly
>> requests the strchrnul module from gnulib; so this might be a gnulib
>> bug.

The change to request the module went in after the 0.10.0 release, so
the 0.10.0 tarball is broken in this regard.

> Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with the age of gnulib provided in the last official release tarball (http://augeas.net/download/augeas-0.10.0.tar.gz):
>
> $ cd augeas-0.10.0/gnulib/
> $ grep -Rl strchrnul *
> lib/string.in.h
> m4/string_h.m4
>
> vs. the current one pulled down from git:
>
> lib/.deps/strchrnul.Plo
> lib/.gitignore
> lib/Makefile
> lib/Makefile.am
> lib/Makefile.in
> lib/strchrnul.c
> lib/strchrnul.valgrind
> lib/string.in.h
> m4/.gitignore
> m4/gnulib-cache.m4
> m4/gnulib-comp.m4
> m4/rawmemchr.m4
> m4/strchrnul.m4
> m4/string_h.m4
> tests/.gitignore
> tests/Makefile
> tests/Makefile.am
> tests/Makefile.in
> tests/test-strchrnul.c
>
> (i.e. now they ship an implementation, note this was mention in a closed bug: https://fedorahosted.org/augeas/ticket/261. That bug was closed as a dupe, but I don't see the original anywhere).

I think the difference here is that the Augeas 0.10.0 tarball only
contains the modules we request and build into it.  Since strchrnul
wasn't in the list, it wasn't shipped.

The bug was marked as a dupe because I'd already fixed the issue in git
(0d8d888) after the 0.10.0 release and then somebody else ran into it
too.  Unfortunately we haven't had a release since then to get the fixed
gnulib setup out.

>>> I also saw David mention in June the possibility of cutting a new
>>> release (perhaps with that fix) back in June, but I don't know if that
>>> addresses the strchrnul() problem.
>>
>> I have to admit I am not sure which discussion you are referring to for
>> the fix - the only recent Solaris discussion I recall was around making
>> augeas buildable with the Sun compiler
>
> In https://www.redhat.com/archives/augeas-devel/2012-March/msg00005.html, a discussion of this bug, one of the OpenCSW maintainers pointed at the patches:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/augeas/trunk
>
> One of those patches attempts to work around this (for Solaris).

Yes, that was a bit messy... I generated that patch by checking out
0.10.0 from git, adding strchrnul to the list of gnulib modules we
required and generating a new tarball from it.  Not ideal, but it got
the OpenCSW build going.

Cheers,

--
Dominic Cleal