[augeas-devel] Transform strings and store/retrieve resulting trees

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue May 22 18:41:31 UTC 2012

Hi Raphael,

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 13:46 +0200, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> First, I think it could be nice to have completion in augtool on lens names
> ;

Patches welcome ;) But I agree.

> Then, when using retrieve, there's a few things I noticed:
>
> * It could be interesting to store the association information somewhere,
> in the way it is done for file -> tree transformations. This way, the
> <LENS> parameter would be optional and Augeas would automatically guess it ;
> * the <TEXT> parameter is a bit confusing at first. I understood you have
> to pass a string (any string actually) that is valid for the given lens,
> say:
>
> augtool> retrieve Hosts.comment /my/comment "# a\n"

The reason you have to pass in a string is because that is used as the
template for spacing etc. I agree that passing in the original text a
second time is annoying - that's why I wanted to change the API to take
the input string from a tree node.

As for the lens: is it really that cumbersome that you have to specify
the lens you want to use ? To me, it makes it a little clearer what is
happening.