[augeas-devel] Augeas lens for sendmail.mc / m4 macro language

Raphaël Pinson raphael.pinson at camptocamp.com
Thu Dec 19 21:08:50 UTC 2013

Hello Patrick,

To my knowledge, there is no m4 lens that exists. The main reason is that
m4 is a macro language, not a configuration language. While it's true that
we support other complete languages (such as PHP or shell script), they are
often very truncated to the cases found in configuration files.

If there is a standard subset of m4 macros that are generally found in
sendmail.mc, we could probably try to support them, but as for any conffile
based on complete programming languages, there's no garantee that Augeas
will be able to parse the whole syntax.

Raphaël

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Patrick Spinler
<spinler.patrick at mayo.edu>wrote:

> I'm working on some modifications to our older redhat system's
> sendmails.  We're just starting to implement puppet / augeas as a
> management tool, and these systems haven't yet been brought under a full
> puppet management regime.
>
> I'm investigating the various set of puppet modules that purport to
> manage sendmail (which are either poorly documented or don't seem to fit
> our setup, or both), but it occurred to me that I could make this
> immediately required small change if only augeas would work with the m4
> macro file sendmail.mc.
>
> so, question is: is there an augeas lens I missed which will edit m4
> macro files?  A quick look through the default lenses in my version
> doesn't turn anything up.  Nor does a quick google search.
>
> Help?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Pat

Raphaël Pinson