[augeas-devel] Website moved

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 23:16:49 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just moved the Augeas website to use github pages[1] The actual work
was done by Raphael quite a while ago. There shouldn't be any user
visible changes except for:

      * Links to the old Wiki will be broken. The new Wiki is at [2] -
        permanent redirects have been in place for well over a month to
        mitigate this issue
      * Links to the old download locations
        (http://augeas.net/download/) won't work anymore. Use
        http://download.augeas.net/ instead

Both these are caused by how github pages work. I am very sorry for the
inconvenience, but the advantages of github pages hugely outweigh the
disadvantages; in particular, it is now possible for people other than
myself to make changes to the website. In particular, the site is now
maintained in [3]

There is one more really annoying thing with the website setup that I'd
like to see changed: the text processor we used. For reasons I don't
comprehend anymore, I used an obscure tool called rest2web to generate
the site. Besides all the joys of an unmaintained tool, it also burdens
us with restructured text, which is complete crud.

If an enterprising soul wants to port the page to something more modern,
I am all ear. My preference would be nanoc, but I am open to others (cf.
above for my luck in choosing these tools)

In any event, please let us know if there is any breakage besides the
two known issues mentioned above. And thank Raphael for all the work
he's put into making this happen.

David

[1] http://pages.github.com/
[2] https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas/wiki