[augeas-devel] Burned by our git repos again

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 09:15:18 UTC 2013

I've just managed to push a change (71aaf9b) to the Fedora Hosted repo,
but not to the GitHub repo[1] as they're out of sync again.  Not the
first time this has happened!

At the moment I usually push to them both (two URLs on a single git
remote), but fetch from Fedora.  Since a PR was merged into the GitHub
tree only, my change today was based on the current Fedora HEAD and not
GitHub's, leading to a non-fast-forward error there.

Can I suggest we make one or the other authoritative?  Preferably
GitHub, since the PR mechanism seems to encourage contributions.

It would be easiest if we stopped pushing to the Fedora repo, to prevent
the impression that we're keeping them in sync.  The web site's
contributors and download pages will need updating too (if I can figure
that process out).

The last problem might be David's GitHub repo, which has a larger set of
forks/stars than the hercules-team org repo, plus receives PRs directly
- ideally hercules-team would act as the upstream instead.  If David's
willing, it could be transferred to hercules-team and we replace the
current augeas repo there.

It may also be worth asking GitHub if they can help us - the web
suggests their staff may be able to rejig the fork relationships via a
support request.  If so, David may be able to open a request to transfer
forks/stars to the hercules-team repo from his own, then recreate his as
a fork of hercules-team, which would make the ancestry clearer.

How does that sound?

[1] https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas
[2] https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas/pull/21

--