[augeas-devel] /etc/security/limits.conf

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Fri May 3 07:21:07 UTC 2013

On 02/05/13 17:43, Sam Darwin wrote:
> I believe the limits.conf file has a slightly confusing syntax for
> augeas, in general, and there may be more problems than just the
> wildcard and the line number.
>
> for example, what is the command that would achieve this?   would this
> add or update the entry??   did you try, by chance?
>
> augtool -s set /files/etc/security/limits.conf/domain[.='*']/soft/nofile 64000

Sorry, I forgot to check the rest of the expression.  Indeed the soft
and nofile bits aren't subnodes of the domain (use "print" in augtool
and you'll see the tree), so you can set it like this:

# echo "* soft nofile 1234" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
# augtool -s "set /files/etc/security/limits.conf/domain[.='*' and
type='soft' and item='nofile']/value 64000"
Saved 1 file(s)
# tail -1 /etc/security/limits.conf
* soft nofile 64000

--