[augeas-devel] Compiling 0.5.0 errors

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 21:10:57 UTC 2013

On 16/10/13 21:50, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I'm on CentOS 6.4 and having a problem getting Augeas to build.
> Presently, at least with the gem, I'm getting these errors.   This also
> happened when I tried to install via the gem utility (ie: I also pulled
> down the actual gem file).
>
> It's referencing missing files, but it's not clear exactly what's
> missing.  I would presume that a gem install from the repo would resolve
> those dependencies, but if I'm building the core release, shouldn't that
> have all it needs to compile (other than perhaps some libs).    I have
> the latest ruby in the 1.8 series:  ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel
> 374) [x86_64-linux] -- this is being used in conjunction with Puppet.
>
> The gem_make.out file refers to:
>
> extconf.rb:27: augeas-devel not installed (RuntimeError)
>
> But I don't see a separate component on the download site that
> references augeas-devel -- again, assuming the actual package has what
> it needs as a full release?

It's referring to the augeas-devel RPM from your distro, which contains
the headers the gem needs to compile against.  Try "yum install
augeas-devel".

You might however find 0.5.0 requires a newer version (I think it needs
Augeas 1.0.0 as a minimum), so if that fails, try ruby-augeas 0.4.1.

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering