[augeas-devel] escaping special characters in the path sent to aug_get()

David Lutterkort lutter at watzmann.net
Wed Jan 21 20:59:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 05:56:04PM -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > To make up for the extremely slow response, I opened a pull request that
> > hopefully addresses all this:
> > https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas/pull/198
> >
> > I'd highly appreciate review(s) of these patches as they root around in
> > some Augeas internals that shouldn't be disturbed ;)
>
> Apart from the src/internal.c hunk which I'm not really qualified to
> review, the patch looks obviously correct to me.  The proposed new API
> looks like it will solve the problem for us.

The thing that makes me nervous the most about this change is that it
changes the paths that people get back from Augeas, especially from
aug_match. While those can now be directly fed to aug_get, they can no
longer be used to find the underlying file directly. Not sure if that will
cause problems for anybody.

I just revised my patch series since there was one place internally (when
Augeas deletes a file) where that would lead to trouble.

The new aug_escape_name API also assumes it gets part of a path; if you
give it a full path it will faithfully escape '/', too. Probably what you
expected, but worth pointing out.