[augeas-devel] Match operations over long file too slow

Štěpán Balážik stepan.balazik at nic.cz
Wed Jun 14 12:13:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

we want to use Augeas to programmatically parse and generate tests for
Deckard <https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard>[1] (our test harness
for DNS resolvers).

I wrote a lens
<https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/blob/augeas_wip/pydnstest/deckard.aug>[2]
which works fine but on longer config files such as this one
<https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard/blob/augeas_wip/sets/resolver/iter_badraw.rpl>[3]
the match operation on /scenario/step nodes takes about 3 ms per call on
my machine using both augtool and the python binding. This sums up to
over 10 s for the whole file which too slow for our purposes.

We have no idea what is the cause of this slowness. Are Augeas matches
always so slow on "shallow and wide" trees?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Štěpán Balážik @ CZ.NIC

[1] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/knot/deckard
[2]