[augeas-devel] New command 'augmatch' to grep files with structure

David Lutterkort lutter at watzmann.net
Wed Nov 22 01:14:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

I was looking at a tool (gron, I believe) that prints JSON files
line-by-line; that set of a bunch of thoughts around how the structure of
the Augeas tree could be made available in a similar fashion. This weekend,
I implemented a new CLI tool 'augmatch' that does excactly that: it prints
the tree for a file, and lets you focus (via path expressions) on specific
parts of that tree.

In theory, you could have done all that with augtool, but it would be
pretty awkward and is much less accessible than augmatch. In addition, I am
hoping that augmatch makes it easier for people to understand how files
appear in the tree, too.

For now, I really want to focus augmatch on just printing, but not
modifying the tree. I am really interested in getting more feedback around
the usability of the command line. The PR
<https://github.com/hercules-team/augeas/pull/531> has some examples on how
to use augmatch, and also links to a static Linux build of it, as well as a
Docker container, either of which makes it possible to try augmatch without
building anything.

Looking forward to hearing how useful people find this. Feel free to
respond here or comment on the PR.