[Avocado-devel] [ANNOUNCEMENT] avocado-vt and virt-test merged

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lmr at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 02:40:45 UTC 2015

Hello everyone:

After a lot of work and many reviews later, we have virt-test and
avocado-vt merged:

https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado-vt/commit/20dd39ef00db712f78419f07b10b8f8edbd19942

What was done there?

* The virttest library calls to autotest APIs were converted to
equivalent avocado API calls. There's still a tiny bit of autotest
dependencies there to ensure correct test reporting
* The project was adapted to be installable system-wide, through the
means of distro packages, such as RPM. By default, the user files are
all created in ~/avocado/data/avocado-vt (the ~/avocado location is
configurable).
* Avocado 0.27.0 and Avocado VT 0.27.0 were released, and both are
available in our COPR repo so you can install them at your leisure.

What does this mean from now on?

It officially means that virt-test is now avocado-vt, and that new
development should be done in the avocado-vt repo. virt-test's repo is
supposed to be left where it is, but we'll disable commit access to it.
Our current virt-test maintainers will be granted access to the
avocado-vt's repo, and we'll work to help our contributors to rebase
their PRs against avocado-vt.

Future

* The next step is to port our test providers to use avocado libraries,
instead of the autotest ones, and move the repos location to avocado.
* avocado-vt and our test providers will be maintained normally from
this point forward.
* Myself and my team will eventually move to focus on avocado-virt, the
successor to avocado-vt. This is still ways to go before it can be
considered ready for production (stability and feature set good enough
for daily virt testing).
* Somewhere down the line, avocado-vt will be in maintenance mode, and
avocado-virt should be the focus of development.

We ask our awesome contributor and maintainer's patience while we work
out eventual issues that came with the transition. We'd love to hear
your criticisms and bug reports, and will work as quickly as we can to
solve these issues.

Notes

* Please add my COPR repo:

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lmr/Autotest/

Check there for install instructions. To test avocado-vt, you can
follow:

http://avocado-vt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/GetStartedGuide.html

That should do the trick. Any problems, please report them on:

https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado-vt/issues/new

Cheers!

Lucas