[Avocado-devel] Avocado on Windows Report

Ruda Moura rmoura at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 13:27:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 04:13:35PM -0300, Cleber Rosa wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Here follows my report from the experimentation with Avocado on Windows.

Hi Cleber,

> Requirements:
>
> =============
>
> Since pip is builtin on Python 2.7.9, it was used to (try to) install all dependencies. First try was avocado's selftest requirements:
>
> $ python -m pip install -r requirements-selftests.txt
> Installation seemed OK. It was possible to import fabric module from Python. Pycrypto C module "Crypto.Random.OSRNG.winrandom" could not be built as it depends on MS Visual C++ 9.0. The easier (but manual) solution was to download a prebuilt version of pycrypto from:
>
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/downloads/pycrypto26/pycrypto-2.6.win32-py2.7.exe

For PyYAML, fabric, etc. It's preferable to install the binary packages,
if it's available, it's not that easy to have a C compiler installed.

It's hard to maintain software for Windows and POSIX,
just look how subprocess module is implemented, many "if mswindows" around.

https://hg.python.org/cpython/file/648dcafa7e5f/Lib/subprocess.py

(And we use it on Avocado)

I bet that running Avocado with CygWIN or MinGW installed on Windows
could be less painful to port / use.

Nice report!

--
Rudá Moura