[Avocado-devel] Static code checking in avocado and avocado-vt

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lookkas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 00:59:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Alan Evangelista <alanoe at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> I have noticed avocado and avocado-vt don't pass pylint (1.4.3)
> validation. Do you guys use any static code checker during development and
> testing in Travis CI?
>
> If not, is there a reason why not? I use Pylint in all my Python projects
> and it helps me a lot to detect bugs early, before running test suites. A
> patch which makes code pass Pylint (or other static code checker of your
> choice) validation would be viable and desired?

I take personal offense by the thought that avocado and avocado-vt are not
being regularly pylinted.

Not only the CI always runs pylint checks, as they go through PEP8 and
indentation checks. Example:

https://travis-ci.org/avocado-framework/avocado/jobs/92175062

Now, there are some errors that are ignored in inspektor:

self.ignored_errors = 'E1002,E1101,E1103,E1120,F0401,I0011'
Simply because they turned out to be false positives too frequently. If you
want to show me that these ignored errors are actual bugs, by all means,
send patches proving that, and then we'll start to fix the bugs across the
board. We can make inspektor's config more flexible to select which errors
are ignored for which project, then we can get the code to a better state.

But even with other checkers, such as pydev on eclipse, and pycharm lint
checker, I don't see any major issues in avocado.