[Avocado-devel] [RFC] Avocado Misc Tests repository policy

Praveen Pandey praveen at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 11 06:33:19 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 06:53:08 PM Ademar Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:07:01AM +0200, Amador Pahim wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are receiving a big number of Pull Requests in avocado-misc-tests
> > repository. If on the one hand it is really great to see the community
> > using and contributing to Avocado, on the other hand the Avocado devel
> > team should not be that involved in review code of tests, since our
> > business is to write Avocado itself.
> >
> > This RFC aims to outline the workflow of the Avocado devel team
> > regarding the avocado-misc-tests repository.
> >
> > Motivation
> > ========
> > The code review is a time consuming activity and review code of tests
> > is not part of the Avocado devel team business. Given the high number
> > of Pull Requests on avocado-miscs-tests repository, we need a policy
> > to officially state our participation there.
>
> I think we need to take a step back and clarify the purpose of
> the avocado-misc-tests repository. It was born as a way to port
> the autotest client tests to Avocado, but since then, it's
> purpose morphed into something else.
>
> Do we want all kinds of tests in avocado-misc-tests? Should it be
> a reference repository, where only high-quality tests are merged,
> serving as an example for other test writers? Should the tests
> there work with avocado sprint releases, or LTS? In other words,
> what should be the requirements to have a test added to
> avocado-misc-tests?
>
> Personally, I think each team, company of person involved in
> testing with Avocado should have their own test repository(ies),
> upstream or not (allowing this is one of the primary design goals
> of Avocado).
>
> Then we would have a few options for what to do with
> avocado-misc-tests:
>
> Option 1: avocado-misc-tests becomes a reference repository of
> high-quality, example tests.  In order to be accepted there,
> tests should pass the following requirements:
>
>    a) Useful to a wider community (not a single project or
>    company).
>    b) Well written, using proper Avocado APIs and features.
>    c) Maintained: tests that break or don't catch up to changes
>    in avocado or other dependencies should be quickly removed.
>    d) Mature and proven stable: which means they've been used in
>    production for a certain amount of time (3 months?) before
>    getting "promoted" to avocado-misc-tests.
>
> Even with all these requirements, there's no way we can guarantee
> the quality or stability of the tests there without more
> maintainers stepping up.
yes this make sense that enable more maintainer based on there review
quality work as apahim already mentioned his initial proposal

> As of now, avocado-misc-tests is a (very) low priority to the
> core Avocado team, which means in practice it might turn into
> what's described by option 2 below:
>
> Option 2: we accept any kind of test to avocado-misc-tests, as
> long as it's reviewed by somebody, in a semi-automated fashion.
> In other words, it should be considered a unstable repository of
> tests, without any guarantee or expectations about code-quality
> or stability. A kind of wild-wild-west, use-at-your-own-risk
> repository.
As Cleber Rosa already mentioned that who is going to review Test
need to attach job log as well that will  help Avocado DEV team to review
pull request. or current maintainer.

> Option 3: port Autotest client tests to it, but don't accept any
> other tests.
I think this is not good that avocado mics test only contain autotest
client test only.As we(IBM) already  started to write new test cases and
raising pull request in avocado -misc -test , I think company already  have
there internal repo have a thought that if we have avocado test in repo than
aocado API Dev Team can also review The test case (like new feature introduced
for avocado API or some Fix in avocado API ) it is more impact when we have
new Test case is submitted in avocado -misc -test.

> Option 4: Declare it unmaintained (to be removed from the Avocado
> umbrella unless someone volunteers to maintain it). Its future
> will depend on the efforts of the new maintainers and the quality
> of what gets merged there (only time will tell).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>    - Ademar
Regards