[Avocado-devel] Avocado 0.31.0 multi user problems

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 21:15:11 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----

That may be expected. Setuptools "develop" will create a link file (not a
POSIX symlink or hardlink) that points to the original location. The second
user may not have permission to access those.

> I've ran "python setup.py develop" from that user too to try to
> overwrite whatever configurations were made. It keeps using the files
> from the first user avocado-vt plugin folder however, getting its tests
> provider and custom .cfgs.
> At some point I've ran "python setup.py install", so I'm not sure which
> command made this mess.
> I've also tried using "python setup.py install" and "python setup.py
> develop --user" from the second user.

Given the different commands ran as different users, it's pretty hard
to give any thoughts about your current installation state.

> Is there any way I can make a clean install? Which folders does the
> setup.py write to?

It depends on how you ran it. What I'd recommend is:

 1) Look for egg link files (avocado*.egg-link), and then look at their
    contents to check where they point to
 2) At the link targets, (the locations given in the .egg-link files)
    check if they have avocado*.egg-info directories
 3) Look for the "avocado" script in your system.

Cleaning all of those, and then starting fresh, should give you pretty
good confidence about where you're running Avocado from.

Now, for some advice on how to install Avocado:

 1) Even if you're tracking Avocado from master (or your local branch)
    you could depend on RPM packages (if your system supports it). The
    `make rpm` command should give you pretty reliable versions. And,
    because of the packaging system itself, you don't have to go looking
    for scattered files if you want to remove it.

 2) If you want to run directly from git, I'd recommend using:

    $ python setup.py develop --prefix=/path/that/all/users/can/access

    Setuptools itself will tell you that the given prefix must be on the
    Python search path for your users.

I hope that helps.