[Avocado-devel] RFC: Nested tests (previously multi-stream test) [v5]

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Wed May 25 13:18:18 UTC 2016

Hello Vincent,

could you please provide an example? I'm not sure I understand your
concern. The beauty of nested tests is the simplicity. Basically the
main test just triggers the test(s) and waits for them to finish. Then
it can decide what to do with the results (bail out, ignore, include in
results, trigger another test(s), ...).

For complex tasks (like the advanced example) synchronization mechanisms
would have to be used for example inside the `Setup a fake network` test
to wait till all the tests finish and then post-process/stop the fake
network.

Obviously there is nothing what should prevent nested tests to invoke
another nested tests, but then the situation is the same. They act as
nested-main test for the nested-nested tests and when the nested-nested
tests finish it reports the single result and the main test retrieves
just the single result and it could decide what to do next.

All of those together should allow great flexibility and
understandable/predictable results.

Regards,
Lukáš