[Avocado-devel] option --output-check-record behavior

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:54:31 UTC 2016

Dne 9.9.2016 v 23:25 Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues napsal(a):

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:14 AM Marcos E. Matsunaga
> <Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com <mailto:Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     First of all, thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
>
>     I found an interesting behavior. If I set loglevel=info in
>     /etc/avocado/avocado.conf, it will not produce any content in
>     stderr.expected and stdout.expected. If I set loglevel=debug, then
>     it will work as it should. I don't mind running in debug mode, but I
>     am not sure the behavior should be affected by loglevel.
>
>     Anyway, the question I have is about using --output-check-record
>     when multiplexing. I notice that the files stdout.expected and
>     stderr.expected get overwritten on each variant. I will assume there
>     is a way to save each of the variant results and then use them to
>     check. The problem is that I went through the documentation and
>     didn't find anything that talks about it.
This is the expected behavior. The `--output-check-record` is a simple
tool to allow checking simple tests like `cat /etc/fedora-release`, it
was never meant for heavy stuff including multiplexer. Consider running
the same test with a different file or with adjusted multiplex file
(different number of variants, ...). What would be the expected results?

Anyway looking at your test, I'd implement it as two tests:

1. start
2. stop

Looking something like this:

```
def start(...):
     # start the xen machine with given attributes

def stop(...):
     # stop the xen machine with given attributes

class StartTest(...):
     def test(self):
         start()
     def tearDown(self):
         stop()

class StopTest(...):
     def setUp(self):
         start()
     def test(self):
         stop()
```

Which would make sure to always cleanup after itself. Other solution
would be to have start & stop as a single test, but having one test to
start a machine and leaving it after the test is finished does not look
nice to me.

>     Thanks again.
>
>     BTW, is the whole development team Brazilian?
>
> No, we also have Lukas, from Czech republic, and also contributors in
> China and India.
Actually we have two core (Red Hat) people located in Czech republic and
one in the USA a incrementally we get more and more contributors from
all around the world.

>     Regards,

Regards,
Lukáš