[Avocado-devel] New questions

Marcos E. Matsunaga Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com
Wed Sep 14 16:58:44 UTC 2016

On 14/09/16 17:40, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
> Dne 14.9.2016 v 13:32 Marcos E. Matsunaga napsal(a):
>> Hi Folks,
> Hello Marcos
>

>> I have some questions about how avocado works.
>>
>> 1. If I run avocado and give it a directory that has all tests. Is there
>> a way to specify the order of execution? I mean, if I name the files
>> 001-xxx.py, 010-aa.py, will it execute 001-xxx.py before 010-aa.py or it
>> doesn't follow an alphabetical order?
> The current implementation does not sort the results, so it's the
> `os.walkdir` order, which is not defined. On my system it appears to
> be the order they were created in the directory, but one can't rely on
> that. Do you find this important?
I would not say important, but would be nice.

>> 2. Lets take into consideration that same directory. Some of the scripts
>> will have multiplex configuration files. Does avocado automatically look
>> at some specific directory for those multiplex configuration files? I've
>> tried to add them to the data, cfg and even the <script>.data
>> directories, but it seems that it doesn't look for them automatically,
>> only when I specify the option --multiplex, but then, the file will be
>> used by all scripts and I was only able to specify a single multiplex
>> file.
> Nop, the current runner allows only a global multiplex configuration
> per all tests and there are no defaults (there was a proposal for
> this, but it was not defined and implemented. There is also a Job API
> which should allow one to create free-form jobs where one should be
> able to assign different attributes including multiplex variants to
> the tests, but it's not yet implemented (although it's a work in
> progress).
>

>> 3. I tried to find if it was possible to start multiple test processes
>> in parallel, but it seems that avocado doesn't have anything like that.
>> Lets say I have 4 guests and I want to execute performance tests while
>> same time. It doesn't have a feature that will do that, right?
> Currently this is not possible. There was an attempt to allow
> multi-stream tests, which would allow test to spread across multiple
> machines (which is not exactly what you asked for, but could be one of
> the solutions), but we haven't come up to a conclusion, so we're
> waiting for other proposals.
>
> Another solution could be to run the jobs separately, which'd produce
> multiple job results.
I do run performance tests often, and in a VM environment, it is really
interesting to see results of jobs executed in parallel (time
synchronized) to get an idea how the engine works. I think that the
biggest challenge when running separately is to keep them all in sync
and starting at the exact same time, and then collect the results.
That's why I think multi-streams tests would be a good feature.

--

Regards,

Marcos Eduardo Matsunaga

Oracle USA
Linux Engineering

“The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not
necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.”