[Avocado-devel] Using Avocado as a system level test

Michael Mohr michaelmohr at hyvesolutions.com
Fri Sep 30 17:40:50 UTC 2016

Good morning;

I'm attempting to implement a system level test framework using Avocado.  At the moment, I'm trying to determine whether it is possible to run multiple instances of one or more test modules in parallel within the current Avocado framework.  A simple example would be running "dd" on a collection of drives attached to an HBA.  Certainly it is possible to just enumerate attached drives using e.g. python-parted and loop over them all, starting process.SubProcess instances on all of them.  But this example is still too simple; what if, for example, it is desirable to run fio or badblocks on some of them instead?  I'd prefer to implement separate test modules to support different drive stressors so that the implementation of each stressor is clean but the calling interface is unified.  Further, what if it is desirable to run multiple instances of one or more stressor test modules on a single rotational drive (to force the drive heads to move around randomly)?

The above just addresses drive stress.  The CPUs and memory should be stressed at the same time, and would require different test modules.  If there is any guidance on this usage of Avocado within the documentation, I've not yet seen it.

Michael Mohr
Office: 510-668-3527
Mobile: 510-449-9331
Hyve Solutions