[Avocado-devel] [RFC v3]: Avocado maintainability and integration with avocado-vt

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 22:11:22 UTC 2017

On 04/20/2017 07:06 AM, Andrei Stepanov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Sounds good.
> I would add a small note.
> QE teams tend to run their tests against old RHEL (7.0/7.1/7.3)
> versions as well.
> Maybe this somehow correct your roadmap.
> My point is to stay away from useless dependencies.
> Ideally Avocado should run on RHEL7.0+official repo / RHEL 7.1 +
> official repo / etc....
> Problem with EPEL is: EPEL can be installed only on the latest .z stream.
> For example, if you have: EPEL + RHEL7.0 this is no more RHEL 7.0.
> Actually you cannot update RHEL7.0 with EPEL.
> It must be the latest RHEL7.x.z.
> Now we use python-virtenv+pypi to overcome this.

Hi Andrei,

This is a very valid point indeed.  We've made things a little better by
moving a lot of the optional plugins outside the base package.

AFAIK, the base (python-)avocado package on EL7 requires EPEL only
because of (python-)stevedore.  I believe this can only be addressed by
requesting this extra package to be added to EL7 (even if it's only on
newer releases).

But this actually brings a question: is EL7 + Avocado RPM from official
repo, still RHEL7?  I mean, from a QE perspective, is this acceptable?
If not, the only real solution I see is also adding Avocado to EL7.

Thanks,

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]