[Avocado-devel] Execute avocado tests through serial or ssh

Francesco frankpuppazorz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 15:52:42 UTC 2017

Hello guys,

At the moment I am working on an application for testing embedded
devices(mainly single board computers). As a testing suite, we are
using avocado.

The aim of our project is to develop something that does not require a
huge experience in python in order to being able to write a test.
Most of the tests we need to perform should run both locally and
through either serial or ssh and consist in a sequential execution of
commands and output processing.
To accomplish this, we were thinking to write wrappers around the
Paramiko library and PySerial.

Our goal would be to write and execute the tests in a way similar to
the example given for the process.run at page 17 of the documentation
in pdf for Avocado 0.52. This means that the whole log of the
operations should be done by the wrappers and not inside the Test
class.

In summary, here is the example:
avocado.fail_on(process.CmdError)
def test(self):
process.run("first cmd")
process.run("second cmd")
process.run("third cmd")

I was wondering if any of you has already worked on something similar
or has some advice that may be helpful to me.

Thank you and best regards.

Frank.