[Avocado-devel] Parameter System Overhaul

Ademar Reis areis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 13:21:09 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 01:01:26PM +0200, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
> [...]
> >> dispatcher(-like) implementation in ``avocado.core.dispatcher``.
> >>
> >> Parameters availability: local .vs. external
> >> ============================================
> >>
> >> Right now, all parameters are given to the test at instantiation time.
> >> Let's say that in this scenario, all parameters are *local* to the
> >> test.  Local parameters have the benefit that the test is self
> >> contained and doesn't need any external communication.
> >>
> >> In theory, this is also a limitation, because all parameters must be
> >> available before the test is started.  Even if other parameter system
> >> implementations are possible, with a local approach, there would be a
> >> number of limitations.  For long running tests, that may depend on
> >> parameters generated during the test, this would be a blocker.  Also,
> >> if a huge number of parameters would be available (think of a huge
> >> cloud or database of parameters) they would all have to be copied to
> >> the test at instantiation time.  Finally, it also means that the
> >> source of parameters would need to be able to iterate over all the
> >> available parameters, so that they can be copied, which can be a
> >> further limitation for cascading implementations.
> >>
> >> An external approach to parameters, would be one that the test holds a
> >> handle to a broker of parameter providers.  The parameter resolution
> >> would be done at run time.  This avoids the copying of parameters, but
> >> requires runtime communication with the parameter providers.  This can
> >> make the test execution much more fragile and dependent on the external
> >> communication.  Even by minimizing the number of communication
> >> endpoints by communicating with the test runner only, it can still add
> >> significant overhead, latency and point of failures to the test
> >> execution.
> >>
> >> I believe that, at this time, the limitations imposed by local
> >> parameter availability do *not* outweigh the problems that an external
> >> approach can bring.  In the future, if advanced use cases require an
> >> external approach to parameters availability, this can be reevaluated.
> >
> > If I understand your point correctly, this is an implementation
> > detail. It depends on what the "contract" is between the test runner
> > (parameter provider) and the test being run (the user of
> > params.get()).
>
> The only difference for the scope of this RFC I see is that the
> "lazy" params can't be merged with "static" params before test
> execution (otherwise it'd effectively made them static as well).
> This is quite important difference to consider further in the
> design...
>

> > For example, should users assume parameters are dynamic and can
> > change during the lifetime of a test, an therefore two identical
> > calls to params.get() might return different values?  Should it be
> > possible to change params (something like params.put()) at runtime?
> Definitely no params changing.
>

> > (IMO the answer should be no to both questions).

The above should be properly specified.

> [...]
>

> >> One other approach would be to merge everything into the tree root
> >> node.  By doing this, one parameter provider could effectively
> >> override the values in another parameter provider, given that both
> >> used the same paths for a number of parameters.
> This wouldn't be possible with "lazy" providers as it'd require iterating through all params.
>

> >> Yet another approach would be to *not* use paths, and resort to
> >> completely separate namespaces.  A parameter namespace would be an
> >> additional level of isolation, which can quickly become exceedingly
> >> complex.
> If I understood it correctly, this is what I'd go with. The way I envision this is:
>
> 1. varianter yields a variant, which also contains params in form of list of namespaces associated with params `variant = [{"/run/variant": {"foo": "bar"}},]`
> 2. runner attaches params from cmdline `cmdline = [{"/1": {"foo": "bar"}}, {"/2": {"foo": "bar"}}]`
> 3. runner attaches params from avocado-virt plugin `virt = [{"/virt": {"image_name": "foo"}]
> 4. runner executes test and passes params definition there
>     {"params": [("varianter", varianter), ("cmdline", cmdline), ("virt", virt)],
>      "order": ["varianter", "__ALL_", "cmdline"]}
>
> Now the NewAvocadoParams object should create AvocadoParams per each provider (params, cmdline, virt) being able to query params from any of them. The process of getting params would get a bit more complicated for Avocado, but for user nothing changes. Let's say user issues params.get("foo", "/*"):
>
> 1. NewAvocadoParasms looks at the "order"
> 2. varianter is asked for a value, reports "bar", as this is a valid response, no further params is queried and "bar" is returned
>
> Now for params.get("foo", "/1/*")
>
> 1. NewAvocadoParasms looks at the "order"
> 2. varianter is asked and reports no match
> 3. __ALL__ => means ask providers without assigned priority, which applies to "virt" in this example, which reports no match
> 4. cmdline is asked and returns "bar"
>
> And params.get("missing")
>
> 1. NewAvocadoParasms looks at the "order"
> 2. varianter => no match
> 3. virt => no match
> 4. cmdline => no match
> 5. default is reported (None)
>

> The "order" is important, by default I'd suggest varianter=>plugins=>params=>default_params (basically what Ademar suggested and we all agreed many times), but it should be possible to set it if necessary (eg. when user have multiple plugins and knows the order).
>
> Now in case of clash I believe it should report the clash even though further providers might be able to report. Let's change the order to ["cmdline", "__ALL__"] and query for params.get("foo", "/*")
>
> 1. cmdline is asked, it raises ValueError("Leaves [/1, /2] contain key "foo"\n  /1:foo:bar\n  /2:foo:bar") which is forwarded to the test.
>
> This schema would work for "lazy" providers as it'd only be asked for specific key and only when needed.

So looks like we agree here, but I'm not familiar with the
implementation details to follow everything. Cleber, can you confirm
and clarify what you had in mind?

> > I think using paths is confusing because it mixes concepts which are
> > exclusive to the multiplexer (a particular implementation of the
> > varianter) with an API that is shared by all other parameter
> > providers.
> >
> > For example, when you say "merge everything into the tree root
> > node", are you talking about namespace paths, or paths as used by
> > the multiplexer when the "!mux" keyword is present?
> There is no difference between namespace path and path in
> multiplexer. The only difference is that multiplexer can provide a
> different slice, but the namespace is always the same, only not
> existing in some slices:

The multiplexer is just one of many possible "varianters". In the
multiplexer the path (tree) has a well defined semantics, which is
non-trivial: paths can be namespaces or used for "multiplexing" when
the "!mux" keyword is used.

I've been thinking of variants as having a prefix, but not a path (a
dictionary, not a tree).  But maybe a tree is better, assuming it
works as a good abstraction for other "varianters". We need an
authoritative specification somewhere.

> >> As can be seen from the section name, I'm not proposing one solution
> >> at this point, but hoping that a discussion on the topic would help
> >> achieve the best possible design.
> >
> > I think this should be abstract to the Test (in other words, not
> > exposed through any API). The order, priority and merge of
> > parameters is a problem to be solved at run-time by the test runner.
> >
> > All a test needs to "know" is that there's a parameter with the name
> > it wants.
> >
> > In the case of clashes, specifying a prioritization should be easy.
> > We could use a similar approach to how we prioritize Avocado's own
> > configuration.
> >
> > Example: from less important to top priorities, when resolving a
> > call to params.get():
> >
> >    * "default" value provided to params.get() inside the test code.
> >    * Params from /etc/avocado/global-variants.ini
> >    * Params from ~/avocado/global-variants.ini
> >    * Params from "--params=<file>"
> >    * Params from "--param=[prefix:]<key:value>"
> >    * Params from the variant generated from --mux-yaml=<file> (and
> >      using --mux-inject would have the same effect of changing
> >      <file> before using it)
> >
> > The key of this proposal is simplicity and scalability: it doesn't
> > matter if the user is running the test with the varianter, a simple
> > config file (--params=<file>) or passing some parameters by hand
> > (--param=key:value). The Test API and behavior are the same and the
> > users get a consistent experience.
>
> Yep. Basically there is a test writer and test user. Test writer
> should write a test and ask for params. Test user should provide
> params which might also include specific order, if needed (via
> cmdline or config).

ACK.

Thanks.
   - Ademar