[Avocado-devel] Subprocess termination

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 14:10:15 UTC 2017

On 02/20/2017 08:46 AM, Andrei Stepanov wrote:
> It depends.
>
> There could be a scenario where necessary to run ~ 200 tests at once.
> If first bad-by-design test forgets/failed to cleanup, then some
> sequential tests also will fail.
> It is a question about usability.

Andrei,

I've personally thought about this some time ago.  Right now, Avocado
tries to "isolate" tests from each other by using separate processes.
This is a rather weak isolation, but still better than what many other
test runners offer.

I believe that having stronger isolation at a test level would indeed be
really useful.  Running each test on a separate and disposable
"execution environment" (container, vm with snapshot, physical machine
that gets reloaded) would be really powerful.

Still, we don't have that feature at this time...

> Okay, Radek, it seems that we should carefully write our tests, and kill
> children processes no matter what of error we have in our tests....., at
> least for now.

... and it doesn't exclude the careful writing of tests as a good practice.

- Cleber.

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]