[Avocado-devel] how to synchronize the execution across multiple machines

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Tue Jul 25 06:08:44 UTC 2017

Dne 24.7.2017 v 14:07 Yesuraj Abraham napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way(plugin) available so that I want to trigger test from host
> machine as follows,
>

> Machine 1 should wait on a barrier which depends on some execution
> completion at machine2, then machine1 should proceed.
>

> I could see the following threads talking about it, however I don’t see the
> corresponding plugins in avocado source code
>

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/avocado-devel/2016-March/msg00025.html
>

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/avocado-devel/2016-April/msg00060.html
>

> Regards,
>
> Yesuraj

Dear Yesuraj,

unfortunately there is no real implementation directly in Avocado yet. I sent a prototype with a custom barrier code here https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado/pull/1019/commits/b5b2d39574db1a00930a185db769bbdc316d2750#diff-48b1c4588345cfb053381017743f86feR33 some time ago, but it was considered ugly and we are waiting on a clear RFC to support multi-host tests directly in Avocado. Card about that is in https://trello.com/c/AnoH6vhP/530-rfc-multiple-machine-support-for-tests (in progress for some time)

There are tcp-based sync primitives in python standard libraries, unfortunately the classic barrier is (IIRC) only supported in python3. Anyway you can find some backports to python2 as well.

Hopefully this helped a bit,
regards,
Lukáš

PS: The reason the multi-host RFC is taking so long is that people can use custom sync primitives for basic synchronization so we want to deliver real multi-host tests with a single result for all targets.