[Avocado-devel] "Test reported status but did not finish",

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 10:35:39 UTC 2017

Dne 25.3.2017 v 18:38 Vincent Matossian napsal(a):
> I intermittently see tests erroring out with reason
>
> "fail_reason": "Test reported status but did not finish"
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a reliable reproduction case, but was
> wondering if it was a known issue?
>
> I didn't deep dive in the code but looking at avocado/core/runner.py's
> run_test method, could it be that the queue ends up empty before the
> process is actually deemed gone?
>
> wait.wait_for(lambda: not queue.empty() or not proc.is_alive(),
> cycle_timeout, first, step)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vincent

Dear Vincent,

the description says it all, the test process reported the status:

     avocado.core.runner:L323
     queue.put(state)

but then the process did not finish, which could be because:

1. the machine is too busy, timeout is 2s
2. the test spawned some threads/processes which prevent it from finishing

Do you also get the "Killing hanged test process ..." messages in the
main `job.log`? If not it's likely the (1), otherwise it could be any of
those.

Perhaps you could try increasing the timeout in:

     avocado.core.runner:L437
     test_state = test_status.finish(proc, time_started, cycle_timeout,

replace the `cycle_timeout` with a number, I'd go with 10s or so and let
us know whether it solved your issue. We can be probably a bit more
lenient...

Lukáš