[Avocado-devel] Transparent test output mode wanted

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Mon Jan 1 11:31:08 UTC 2018

Dne 30.11.2017 v 08:39 Dmitry Monakhov napsal(a):
> Hello I want to performs everyday cli activity via avocado because of
> it's transparent logging feature. But I found hard to find how
> to do it convinient way.
>
> For example, in order to compilation kernel I do:
> $ linux-kernel: make all
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>   CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>   CHK     include/generated/qrwlock.h
>   CHK     include/generated/qrwlock_api_smp.h
>   CHK     include/generated/qrwlock_types.h
>   CHK     kernel/qrwlock_gen.c
> Now I want to do the same but with avocado's supervision and I do want
> see make's logs as it was before.
>
> I can do it by running:
> $avocado --show test run --external-runner=/usr/bin/make  all
> But besides test's stdout/stderr it will also dump a lot of avocado's
> stuff, which I do not want to see. This is because according to
> avocado/core/output enabled.append("test") means LOG_JOB
>
> Idially I want to have mode which show me only LOG_UI + tests_output.
> I found hard to figure how to do it by myself because your logging
> hierarchy it too complex for one minute fix.

Hello Dmitry,

it's possible to specify multiple streams to be displayed, would this work for you?

    $ avocado --show test,app ...

unfortunately that also includes some job-related info (like config, runtime info...) and I remember discussing ways to separate them out but I can't find the card about it. Adding this one to not to forget about it: https://trello.com/c/VYVZkrNB/1204-separate-job-and-test-loggers

For record I use `--show all` all the time because I don't mind the early messages but I do want to see the progress as well as the logs.

Regards,
Lukáš