[Avocado-devel] Multiplex & Variants

Petr Šplíchal psplicha at redhat.com
Thu May 24 12:33:53 UTC 2018

On 15 May 2018 at 09:21, Lukáš Doktor <ldoktor at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 14.5.2018 v 17:05 Petr Šplíchal napsal(a):
>> Thanks for the pointers, Lukáš.
>>
>> I tried the command you suggested with 52 with the same result:
>>> avocado multiplex -m mux.yaml --tree
>> avocado multiplex: error: unrecognized arguments: -m mux.yaml
>>
>> BTW, 52.1 docs suggest using "variants", but that does not work either:
>>> avocado variants --tree -m mux.yaml
>> avocado variants: error: unrecognized arguments: -m mux.yaml
>>
>>> avocado --version
>> Avocado 52.0
>>
>>> rpm -q python2-avocado
>> python2-avocado-52.0-1.el7.noarch
>>

> Hello Petr,
>
> the "unrecognized arguments" is the best hint here and it means
> you most probably don't have the "yaml_to_mux" installed. You
> can list installed plugins by "avocado plugins" or, in your
> case, by running "rpm -qa | grep avocado". As suggested in
> http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/52.1/GetStartedGuide.html
> you need to install
> "python-avocado-plugins-varianter-yaml-to-mux" plugin which
> implements the `-m` option.

Thanks for the clarification, Lukáš. I was somehow did not expect
the plugin is not installed. But I see it's mentioned several
times in the documentation. So that should be all right.

> Note with more recent Avocado you get to chose from either
> "yaml_to_mux" or "pict" but in LTS you only have the
> "yaml_to_mux" varianter plugin available.
>
> Do you think we can improve a bit? We moved the optional_plugins
> documentation to special section to emphasize they are not core,
> maybe the "optional_plugins" section header can be a bit better.
> Or do you think something like "-m option is not supported, do
> you have all plugins installed (use 'avocado plugins' to list
> them)" would help?

Yes, I think the more detailed error message mentioning the
plugins and how to list them would definitely help here to
discover the problem.

Thanks.

psss...