[Avocado-devel] --filter-by-tags= value in tests?

Lukáš Doktor ldoktor at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 06:38:02 UTC 2019

Dne 14. 01. 19 v 18:36 Brian J. Murrell napsal(a):
> Are the tags given to a --filter-by-tags argument available in the test
> (i.e. setUp(), test_* functions, etc.)?
>
> The idea of course is so that a test can know which tags were requested
> possibly for skipping, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Hello Brian,

they are not intended for dynamic usage. For dynamic purposes we have the test params.

Anyway you asked whether they are available and in a way they are. It is not a guaranteed interface, but it should probably work at least until we finish the Job API (which should supersede all of these and is coming for years already). Every test is also given the job instance and job instance contains full parsed test arguments. So you can use something like:

    self.job.args.filter_by_tags

in a test and get the list of tags set on the cmdline. Anyway you had been warned that it is not a really good idea. Better would be to create an RFC (or a mini-rfc) with some examples and possible interfaces we could discuss (or at least to join any release meeting and discuss it live) so we can find a generic solution. My first idea would be to populate "self.params" with filters to have a single storage that would allow overrides/extensions from parameter system.

Regards,
Lukáš

PS: You can also use "sys.argv" but that is even nastier and also might go away with the Job API (at least if we chose the way I envision :D).