[Avocado-devel] setting custom job_results subdir name

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Thu May 9 16:11:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 11:24:53AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Having to sift through dozens of directories of the format:
>
> job-results/job-YYYY-MM-DDTHH.MM-<unique_hash>
>
> trying to find the results for a given test is frustrating.
>
> While I realize that I can get the name of the dir to look into from
> the avocado stdout, that stdout is not where I am looking when I look
> at my test results when the results are in junit format.  Having to go
> from junit results then to avocado stdout to discover the directory is
> equally frustrating.
>
> If I can come up with my own unique job-results/<name> structure, am I
> able to tell avocado to use my own name instead of it's conjured "job-
> YYYY-MM-DDTHH.MM-<unique_hash>" name?

Hi Brian,

Do you mean you'd like to set the final job results directory?  I mean,
you can already do:

  $ avocado run --job-results-dir=~/avocado/job-results/name/ -- /path/to/test

But then, you'd get:

  ~/avocado/job-results/name/job-YYYY-MM-DDTHH.MM-<unique_hash>

There are a number of positive aspects the (very likely unique) job
directory name, so, my first approach would be to come up with a post
job plugin that would create a link, or rename/move your job results
to a destination of your choosing.

Say, you'd run a job with:

  $ avocado run --job-nickname=name -- /path/to/test

And the plugin would simply do something like:

  $ ln -s $CURRENT_JOB ~/avocado/job-results/nicknames/name

Of course a "mv" could also be done.

> Ideally I can use a hierarchy, but even if not, being able to name that
> dir under job-results/ would be immensely helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Let me know how that sounds... it should be a few lines of Python code.

Cheers,
- Cleber.