[Avocado-devel] calling self.fail() in setUp() == ERROR result?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Sep 12 11:50:28 UTC 2019

In our case, we are testing a client-server protocol.

All of our tests need the server to be started up, which is ripe for
putting into setUp().

But a failure to start the server could as likely (more, probably) be a
problem in the server start-up code, which is a test FAIL because it
should be sent to developers, not QA/CI guys.

Sure, we could move server start-up back into to every test, but that
means repeating the same code over and over again across every test.
Such a thing really invalidates the point of setUp(), IMHO.

Cheers,
b.