[Avocado-devel] Implement fetch-assets command line

Willian Rampazzo wrampazz at redhat.com
Thu Sep 26 12:17:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 5:09 AM Amador Pahim <amador at pahim.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 9:49 AM Lukáš Doktor <ldoktor at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > what a nice discussion. But before you start, what lead you to pick this card? It's one of the nice-to-have-ideas card and we have plenty of well-defined-and-useful cards that also needs attention, so unless you have a real-world usage, I'd probably suggest to focus on something you can directly benefit from. (unless you have other interest in eg. learning something, or other kind of interest).
>
> Fair point. A RFC would do some good here.

My fault not bringing the reason for this card up to the discussion.
As far as I'm concerned, qemu had some problems with tests timing out
while downloading huge images with restricted bandwidth in their CI.
There was a discussion where Cleber was involved in the qemu-devel
list about it and a workaround was to disable those tests. One of the
options discussed was to have a command that would fetch the assets
prior to the test start, or not related to the test, so the download
does not count on test timeout. This is, yet, one from the various
requests related to assets that would benefit them. As qemu tests
consist of single string parameters on their fetch_asset calls, with
at least the simple parser item introduced to Avocado, qemu can
re-enable those tests that were failing due to asset download timing
out the test. Cleber may have some more details about the whole
discussion.