[Avocado-devel] Avocado release 85.0: Bacurau

Plamen Dimitrov pdimitrov at pevogam.com
Tue Feb 16 11:30:09 UTC 2021

Hi Cleber,

On 2/15/21 3:30 PM, Cleber Rosa wrote:
> This is yet another Avocado release announcement: 85.0 is now available!
>
> Release Notes
> =============
>
> Since we host the release notes alongside our official documentation,
> please refer to the following link for the complete information about
> this release:
>
>   https://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/85.0/releases/85_0.html
>
> Installing Avocado
> ==================
>
> Instructions are available in our documentation on how to install
> either with packages or from source:
>
>   https://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/85.0/guides/user/chapters/installing.html
>
> RPM packages for the current Fedoras (32 and 33) and EL 8 (Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux, CentOS, etc) are already available on those
> distribution's "avocado" module, on the "latest" stream.  The
> installation should be straighforward, and you can find instructions
> here:
>
>   https://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/85.0/guides/user/chapters/installing.html#fedora
>
> Also, updated Python source and binary packages are available on PyPI:
>
>   https://pypi.org/project/avocado-framework/
>
> Avocado-VT
> ==========
>
> Updated Python source and binary packages are available on PyPI:
>
>   https://pypi.org/project/avocado-framework-plugin-vt/
>
> RPM packages should soon be available for the current Fedoras (32 and
> 33) and EPEL 8 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, etc) in the
> "avocado-vt" modular repository.
>
> Happy hacking and testing!

I am confused about the release process of Avocado VT. First we had an email thread
about whether we should provide version tags in sync between Avocado and Avocado VT.
We didn't make any final conclusions on what was the final decision there so the release
of Avocado VT 83.0 signaled me that we will continue following the previous workflow.
Then however, there was never a release for Avocado VT 84.0 which meant we had decided
to drop and the conclusion was not to release the VT plugin in sync with the core, the
conclusion in the emails remaining unexplained again. Now I see that there is again a
tag for Avocado VT 85.0, suggesting that we keep the versions in sync again.

Is the missing 83.0 tag an error in the Avocado VT release process? Or is it intentional
and there is another decision about the releases many of us are still unaware of? What
would you state as a conclusion on the email thread about dropping VT from the Avocado
releases?

Best,
Plamen