[Avocado-devel] Avocado release 85.0: Bacurau

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 23:22:14 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 10:00:30PM +0200, Plamen Dimitrov wrote:
> Hi Cleber,
>
> On 3/2/21 6:36 PM, Cleber Rosa wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 01:30:09PM +0200, Plamen Dimitrov wrote:
> >> I am confused about the release process of Avocado VT. First we had an email thread
> >> about whether we should provide version tags in sync between Avocado and Avocado VT.
> >> We didn't make any final conclusions on what was the final decision there so the release
> >> of Avocado VT 83.0 signaled me that we will continue following the previous workflow.
> >> Then however, there was never a release for Avocado VT 84.0 which meant we had decided
> >> to drop and the conclusion was not to release the VT plugin in sync with the core, the
> >> conclusion in the emails remaining unexplained again. Now I see that there is again a
> >> tag for Avocado VT 85.0, suggesting that we keep the versions in sync again.
> >>
> > Yes, you should be confused because I made a mistake and forgot to tag
> > and release Avocado-VT 83.0.  It was during the holidays, and I got
> > cut off during Avocado and Avocado-VT release work.
>
> I think what you mean to say here is about Avocado VT 84.0. It is also the missing tag
> as I described above with "there was never a release for Avocado VT 84.0".

Hi Plamen,

Yes, sorry, it was about 84.0.  Here I made the same mistake wrt
version number that I pointed out to your later.

> >> Is the missing 83.0 tag an error in the Avocado VT release process? Or is it intentional
> >> and there is another decision about the releases many of us are still unaware of? What
> >> would you state as a conclusion on the email thread about dropping VT from the Avocado
> >> releases?
> >>
> > I guess you mean 84.0 (83.0 is tagged).  So, it was not intentional, it was a mistake,
> > and the goal is to continue to have releases at the same time.
>
> Yes, sorry my bad here, I mislead you here which is probably what confused you above too.
>
> In any case, I have created an issue at
>
> https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado-vt/issues/2937
>
> because we need to release in order to be able to release our plugin as well. More details
> described within the issue.

OK, I took care of it (I believe).  I don't think we can or should do
the release part of it though, because it would bring other types of
inconsistencies (for example RPM and git changelog would be out-of-order).

> >> Best,
> >> Plamen
> >>
> > Let me know if that answers all of your questions.  And I'm sorry
> > about the impact this has caused.
>
> Yes, it makes things clearer. I think additional confusion arose exactly because we also
> discussed whether to drop these tags or not before.
>
> Thanks for explaining this,
> Plamen

Yep, I completely understand why you thought that was the cause.

Best!
- Cleber.