[Avocado-devel] Looking for a new name for the avocado.utils namespace

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 16:11:09 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:43 AM Ana Guerrero Lopez <ana at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a project to split avocado.utils and distribute it in a
> separate git repository, also with a different Python namespace.
>
> This means we need a new name for this namespace!
>
> There are mostly two options:
>
>    - Use something related: afutils, avocadoutils, autils, ...
>    - Use something totally related to avocado that could be easier to
>    remember: greematter, aguacate, persea,abacado, ...

Hi Ana,

Thanks for bringing up this discussion!

My suggestion/vote is greenmatter.  Yes, I'm biased because that was a
suggestion of mine.  The reasoning for the name is:

* (green)pulp is too obvious
* it will make a good part of what Avocado (as a project is), but it's not
quite its core
* it somehow relates to "gray matter": yes, if you have some, you'd use it
;)
* it's available on PIP, Fedora packages, etc

Cheers,
- Cleber.