Alpha Newbie needs help netbooting linux

Aneesh Kumar KV aneesh.kumar at digital.com
Fri Apr 2 16:54:08 UTC 2004

Jiann-Ming Su wrote:

>Don't get me wrong, there are many things about RH/Fedora that I like
>over debian.  But, you listed out three very valid reasons why we don't
>see RedHat supporting the other architectures.  Since alpha has become
>essentially a hobbiest's system, why volunteer for Fedora as opposed
>to Debian?  Debian doesn't seem to work within the same constraints as
>RedHat and even Mandrake.

I agree with this. As Mike already pointed out supporting a new arch
takes  lot of effort. So why do we need to support more than one distro
for Alpha. As he already said redhat doesn't have any interest in
Alpha.So the only way to support Linux on Alpha is by community support.
We already have a community driven project that support Alpha. I guess
all the users of Alpha Linux should put their effort to make that distro
better rather than starting a new distro. Well I guess we should forget
about which distro is better and we should look at the feasibility of
supporting one distro properly so that we don't waste out effort in
supporting Alpha Linux.

BTW the new debian installer is way better than the old one. Well I
agree with you that the fancy GUI during installation is not there. But
I guess it doesn't matter.

-aneesh

--

ph: 603-884-5742