Voodoo-2

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Apr 9 11:26:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Mike A. Harris wrote:

>Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:49:37 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com>
>To: Linux and Red Hat on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Voodoo-2
>
>On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Alexey Chupahin wrote:
>
>>I wish to buy Voodoo-2 card (that is I can get only),
>>Does anybody knows, can it works with kernels 2.4 Xfree 4.x on alpha?
>
>It stands a good chance of working I would guess.... Alan Cox
>recently wrote a new driver for Voodoo I/II that does 2D/Xv with
>Render acceleration.  It works on x86, and he's about to test it
>on AMD64.  The driver is in our XFree86 4.3.0 rpms and also in
>our X.org X11 (xorg-x11) rpms.  If someone can confirm wether it
>works on Alpha or not, I can enable it by default for Alpha
>builds.
>
>The driver can be downloaded manually from Alan's ftpsite:

Also, I forgot to mention, that this new "voodoo" driver does not
require Glide2x at all, unlike the "glide" driver for this same
hardware which is included with XFree86, and Xorg X11.

I suspect the old 'glide' driver can fade away sometime soon.

--
Mike A. Harris        ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer   -   X11 Developer   -   Red Hat