3-Pin Fan Header Pin Order

Chris Meadors axp at clubneon.com
Fri Apr 23 19:45:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 10:23 -0400, Iain Barker wrote:

> I had the same problems with fans on AS4100 CPU's. I was trying to use generic Delta AFB0612HA fans to replace HP AFB0612HA (i.e. same part code)
>
> I tried ten generic fans on three CPU cards with all possible pin orderings. None worked. Replacing the fan with an HP original part worked fine though on all three cards.
>
> The delta is spec'd at 12v 4200 to 5000RPM. Don't have the spec details of the HP part but it seems the RPM output expected by the HP tach module may be a different rate???
>
> From memory, if you look closely at the part codes there is a suffix -120 or -40 or something which may explain the difference in RPM speeds.  I've not seen the 'HP version' available anywhere other than direct from HP support sales.

My old fans were not even Deltas, but made by Shicoh.  I finally gave
HPQ a call, and now I wish I had done it sooner.  Sure it took about 20
minutes and 4 people to find someone who knew what a DS5305 or AS1200
was.  He was able to find the CPU parts list, which included a part
listed as a "60mm fan, axel, and fan tube".  I figured that sounded
close enough, and told him I wanted two.  The part number ended up being
12-49995-01 (and thus the real reason for this post, just in case anyone
Googles in the future).  They were $9 each, about what I paid for the
other two sets of fans that didn't work with this machine.  But ground
shipping was free, so that way they were cheaper.  Since my machine had
been down two months I figured that a few more days wouldn't matter.
There was also a 5 day lead on the parts.  I ordered them Tuesday
afternoon and got them the following Thursday evening.  Not bad at all.
The new fans are made by Delta, and seem to have quite a bit more blade
surface.  So my good old Alpha is up and running again.

--
Chris