Fedora from Mike Barnes: Installation - kernel and images

David Shirvanyan shir at email.unc.edu
Tue Aug 10 00:26:32 UTC 2004

I have tried to install FC2 on my DS10 using the kernel
and filesystem images provided in the latest tree. I don't
know if this the right thing to do, but the kernel was there,
so I have tried.
Installation failed as the kernel was unable to load any of
the modules provided in the cdrom.img or in the ramdisk.img.
My DS10 has SCSI hd and SCSI cd, so the loader attempts to
load scsi-mod, isp-mod and qlogicisp to read the stage 2 files
stored on hd or cd. Network installation failed, too. It
requires tulip ethernet driver.
I have decompressed boot filesystem images and seen that all
the required modules are packed in modules.cgz. But for
some reason /sbin/loader pretends it can not find them.

I have tried the older loader from the installation floppies of rh7.2
(did work - still can't find modules), and I have tried to put
the new loader with old 2.4.9 kernel and modules (same thing).
I also have tried to start installation of FC2 using kernel and
images from rh72. It worked, but anaconda has died in one
of its scripts unable to load some library.

Now I am thinking about building my own installation floppies and kernel
with all the required drivers built-in. But I have never done this
before. Maybe someone has faced this problem and found easier way to
boot and start installation?
Thank you,
David.