Mozilla 1.7.2 on FC2 for Alpha

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 07:56:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:33:04 +0200, Andrija Pantovic
<andrija.pantovic at ubs.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I managed to build the latest Mozilla on FC2 having the latest glibc installed
> on my Alpha. I provided spec files and a patch to Mike Barnes.

I'll try building glibc, maybe later this evening. If it builds
cleanly and works on the development machine, I'll release it as an
update to the Carmen tree.

Also - just wanted to put my two cents in on George's comments about
toolchain checks and tests - I'd heartily agree with that kind of
procedure for a stable distribution that people might actually be
using for serious work, but the goal with the tree I'm building here
is mainly to get things to the point where we _can_ start building
properly - with a base that's slightly more modern than RedHat 7.2.
I'm happy with building and releasing a CVS release of glibc as long
as it doesn't make things any worse on my system.

If anyone's real work suffers a major setback because they suddenly
have to roll back a glibc upgrade on their Alpha, I think they're
using the wrong distribution at this point. :)

Almost everything so far has been using the "if it compiles, ship it"
method of quality control. I think that should change once Core 3
releases and we try building it, but I hope to be little more than a
casual observer at that point. I don't want to be a distribution
maintainer.