Alpha Source Code?

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sun Dec 5 18:13:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:08:06PM -0600, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:

> Did you use the AMD64-bit source code, or the i86 sources?

There is not much difference.  For FC3 4 CD disks with x86_64
sourcs differ from similar ones for x86 only in this that on later
you have few extra packages (dev86, lilo, mkbootdisk, ... ) which
do not make sense on x86_64.

> I was thinkin about taking a crack at compiling open office if I don't
> have to mess around with the sources too much.

There are no 64-bit binaries for openoffice.  Those used on x86_64
are precisely the same as those from x86 and run in "compatibility
mode".  How much this stuff is broken by "everything is 32-bit"
assumptions I have not the slightest idea.

   Michal